Sunday, September 13, 2009

Rock

I'm not a gamer. I don't play video games, and I don't understand the appeal of them. Tom, on the other hand, would totally be a gamer if our life situation was different. If we didn't have kids, and if he had lots of free time on his hands, I can virtually guarantee that he would spend a lot of time in front of a tv, controller in hand.

Every once in a while a new game will come out, one that he just has to have. Most of the time, it's the adventure games that he gets really into. When the newest Legend of Zelda came out, he was pretty routinely up until 2am playing until he beat the game. He can get still get sucked in, for sure.

As much as I don't understand his love of the games, I try to leave him alone so he can play. I know he loves it. When we got married, we got each other gifts. He bought me diamond stud earrings, I bought him a Playstation 2. The Playstation was good enough for him for many years, even with the release of newer, better gaming systems. It was good enough, that is, until the Wii came out.

I didn't see what the huge appeal of the Wii was, mostly because of the fact that I don't play video games to begin with. But for whatever reason, he really, really, really wanted it. It was released a few years ago, and the demand was so high that stores sold out immediately and you couldn't find them online. I set out to get him one. Don't ask me why.

It took weeks of getting up at the crack of dawn on weekend mornings, perusing the ads to see which store was getting in a new shipment, standing in line before doors opened and waiting. Lots of waiting. The morning I finally got one, it was 10 degrees, and I had to wait outside Target for 45 minutes. I must love him.

The Wii is different. I'm more likely to play it because it isn't like most other video games. It's interactive, and we can play some of the games with the kids. As I sit here typing this, Tom is playing Guitar Hero with the kids. There is nothing in the world like hearing your six year old screaming the lyrics to Beastie Boys songs.

Though I am not generally a video game player, I love Guitar Hero. When we first got it, I was pregnant with AJ. And I was up for days, late into the night until I beat the game. Tom was a little mystified. He'd never seen me like that. He got tired of playing long before I did. And for a few days at least, he knew how I feel when he spends hours and hours playing.

There is a new Beatles version that just came out. Grandma Kathi has already started talking about it. Maybe we can get her to grab a guitar and join the band. Rock on, my friends. Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts