Friday, September 25, 2009

Easy & Fancy

At this point, I figure I might as well end the week with a recipe or two, since that's what I've been doing so far. Last night I got to make dinner twice. The first one was dinner for a dear friend and her family. Recovering from surgery and unable to stand at the moment, I helped her out. As I was making her dinner, I was secretly wishing that I could keep it for myself since it's one of my favorites. But, I did the right thing and took it over there. Too bad my whole house smelled like it already. And too bad I had already promised the kids I would make them something else. They wanted fancy macaroni.

So, for today, I'll give you two recipes. The first was the one that I made for that friend of mine, the one who only needs me to do just this one thing. And the one that would always do just this one thing for me. And I love her for that. The second recipe is for the second dinner I made last night, the one the kids requested. Both are good, both are easy, and both are perfect dinners for those cool Fall nights.

Italian Crockpot Chicken
  • 1 1/2 pound of boneless, skinless chicken
  • 1 container of fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
  • 2 cans stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 1 can tomato paste
  • corn starch
  • oregano
  • clove of garlic, chopped
  • basil
  • salt
  • pepper

Put the mushrooms and chicken in the crockpot. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes and tomato paste with 1 tsp corn starch, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp basil, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. (You can substitute an italian seasoning blend - if you do, use about 2 tsp) Pour mixture over chicken and set crockpot to high for 4 hours or low for 8. Don't open the lid until ready, so you don't lose the moisture.

Serve with cooked pasta and garlic bread.

Fancy Macaroni & Cheese

  • Box of elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
  • 1/2 small onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 12 slices american cheese, cut into pieces
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • bread crumbs

Saute onion in butter until clear. Add milk and cheese a little at a time. Reduce heat and melt all cheese together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix cheese sauce with pasta, pour into 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle top with bread crumbs and extra shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. This is the dinner the kids request on their birthdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts