Friday, July 31, 2009

Shared

It's official. My son and my husband have the same taste in movies. They are, at least in that sense, on the same level. Tom has always had a liking for the stupid humor boy movies. You know the ones I am talking about. The ones rife with bathroom jokes, physical comedy and an abundance of general inappropriateness. Almost every movie by Jim Carrey falls into this category, as do most things with Will Ferrell, Steve Carrell, Vince Vaughn and Ben Stiller.

It's not that I don't enjoy them. I do. Hell, I grew up on them. My Dad loved the Porky's series, Spaceballs and I've seen every single one of the Police Academies. My Dad's favorite movie of all time, if I had to guess, is Stripes. I could probably recite that entire film from opening scene to ending credits.

There are plenty of times that I like watching them. Sometimes, a silly film can transport you to a place of much needed laughter. When you laugh so much that it hurts. Scenes like that one we saw recently in the Hangover - the one where you see them all waking up for the first time. And the scene where the vet in the chair teaches some men how to dodge a ball. And, who could ever again look at an apple pie the same after that fateful teen movie?

These movies are funny, mostly because of the fact that they aren't so far outside the realm of possibility that we could never imagine them happening to anyone we know. The opposite is the truth. I can imagine most of the things that happen in these movies happening to people I know.

As much as I can laugh along with him, I don't love them the same way that Tom does. I don't feel compelled to wear a t-shirt proclaiming my love of tater tots. I don't need to wear an Average Joe's shirt either. And, no, I don't need to watch Dumb and Dumber every single time it happens to be on TV.

Every once in a while, I want to watch a serious film. I like the occasional lighter, though predictable romantic comedy. I love a tragedy. And every so often, I want to see a horror film. The problem is that my husband isn't as willing to humor my interests as I would like him to be. I've learned over the years that there is a ratio of about 1 to 4. One movie that I want to see for about every four he likes. And he's usually asleep during mine or in the other room playing a video game. On rare occasions, he will allow me to drag him to see one in the theater, but since we only see about two movies a year that way - the odds are stacked against me. I'll see a first run chick flick sometime in 2011.

Finally this year, he got me a gift card so that I can see movies on my own if I want. He's gone to see some of the big ones on his own. I have virtually no interest in some of the movies he absolutely needs to see. Anything Star Wars related and anything based on a comic book - all things he needed to see on the big screen. And he goes, alone, happily. Sometimes it's just easier that way. Soon enough, he won't need to go alone. He'll have a little buddy to tag along. Aidan likes them too. This, dear readers, is why men have sons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts