Thursday, July 30, 2009

Delete

It never ceases to amaze me how completely and totally unaware some people can be about the effects that their words can have. How much words can hurt. And how it really doesn't matter what the intentions of the speaker were, and how noble they might have been.

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I don't even recall a single time in my life where it wasn't an issue. I've been painfully aware of the harsh reality of being overweight my entire life. Kids are cruel, and adults are often worse.

I had a chance to revisit this subject today, as a direct result of a person's comment online. Someone, who I know that has never struggled with it, claiming to be looking out for the best interests of the overweight people in the world, berating them in the process. Not realizing that her statements, her words, though she thought they were harmless and encouraging, were cruel.

It reminds me of the old saying, you know the one. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. It really is a good rule of thumb. Don't go on slinging insults, claiming that they are meant to be inspiring. Don't make fun of people, call them names and blame them for their situations, particularly when you don't really know anything about them. Don't be mean, even if you think you are doing a good deed.

If your perceptions are that flawed, that misguided, do us all a favor. Type. Delete. Type. Delete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts