Saturday, April 25, 2009

Silly Dinner

Tom is almost always home for dinner, almost. There are times he doesn't make it, usually during tax season or if he has to go out of town for work. The kids like to take full advantage of those nights. Because there is one kind of dinner that can only happen when Daddy isn't home. Silly dinner.

The foods eaten for silly dinner show up far more frequently in the form of silly lunch. During the summer and the other breaks from school, we will have silly lunch once a week or so. The kids request it.

What are silly lunch and dinner? Breakfast. Plain and simple, it's breakfast. It's just eaten at the wrong time of day. The kids collectively love most breakfast foods, no matter what the time of day. The first time I made silly lunch, the kids looked at me like I was losing my mind. Aidan is the one that named it that summer day.

The truth is that I love bacon and eggs (when I'm not pregnant and forced to eat them on a daily basis, that is). Tom isn't a big fan of bacon and eggs, he is much more inclined to want pancakes or waffles for breakfast. He's known for weekend donut runs as well. He just loves to carb load in the morning, I guess. As a result, I don't make eggs and bacon for breakfast very often. There isn't usually an abundance of time on school days for such activities. As for weekends, Tom would rather eat a bowl of cereal than have me make breakfast. So we just moved that meal to another time.

Yesterday, Tom was gone for the night, away for work. As soon as the kids realized he wouldn't be home for dinner, they asked if I could make silly dinner. I don't know what it is about having breakfast at the wrong time, but the kids love it. And we are pretty silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts