Thursday, April 16, 2009

Random Bits of Information

I am a treasure trove of knowledge. Random bits and pieces of information, hardly ever pertinent to daily life. I shudder at the thought of how many song lyrics are crammed into my head. I can repeat phone numbers from elementary school friends. I remember things, and over the years I have remembered a lot of things. Random things. Things that make people like me want to audition for Jeopardy.

I know strange details about weird subjects. Yesterday, we were at a field trip to the aquarium and I found myself pointing out all kinds of trivial things about the animals to the kids. Even their teacher was a little intrigued by my tidbits. I worked in the science museum in junior high, and our focus that year was on the ocean. I learned more about it than *normal*. Plus, I wanted to be a marine biologist for a while.

I am a great resource for odd subjects. When I was in school, I always tried to pick research topics that I was interested in, and that were a bit out of the ordinary. Like the overfishing of sharks in international waters. The detrimental effects of the overuse of antibiotics. Herd Immunity. Exploring the reasons that baby boys are born with a higher chance of health problems than girls are. The San Diego Chicken, and his role in case law on intellectual property rights. I like the weird. It's more interesting.

Through the insane amount of education and broad life experiences I have been lucky enough to have, I know at least a little bit about a lot of things. I don't claim to be an expert in many of them, or any of them really. But I can answer most of the basic questions. Legal issues? How do you make a twirl skirt? What does this mean in Spanish? Am I in labor? What does this rash mean? How long are eggs safe to eat? Will this stain come out? How can you take a picture of a fish in a fish tank? What will make roses grow faster and fuller? You'd be amazed at the things people will call me for.

Aidan is shocked sometimes if I don't know the answer to a question he asks. He asks a lot of questions, and I usually have an answer. He's come to expect that I am just supposed to always know, and is taken a bit by surprise if I don't.

There are certain subjects that I know nothing about. The subjects that keep me from ever auditioning for Jeopardy, because they will be the ones I get questions on. Electricity is a big one. I can explain it, but I totally don't understand it. Most things related to computer programming are foreign to me. I know virtually nothing about world history. I love ancient history and US history, but don't ask me about much else. I'm in the dark about opera. My knowledge about literature and ballet - superficial at best.

Newborn babies can instinctively crawl up and latch on by themselves. There is your random bit of information for the day, courtesy of Kelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts