Monday, March 23, 2009

Puddle Jumping

I am strange, I've been told. I love the rain. Absolutely love it. I wish it would rain more often here. We almost moved to Oregon a few times, and the idea of virtually constant rain made me giddy. I'm not one of those people who needs sunlight to be happy and energetic. Cloudy is just fine with me.

Rain is nature's sprinkler system, and when you have rain, you have an abundance of green. The hills, the grass, the trees. I love how the asphalt smells when it rains. I love to walk in the rain. I own a few umbrellas, but I never ever use them. Just another thing to carry. Besides, it's just water. It's not going to hurt you. I love to sleep when it is raining, I love the sound of the raindrops hitting the roof and the windows. There is something soothing to the soul about rain. A cleansing, a renewal.

From the time I was a little girl, I have loved to play in the rain. I used to run around the backyard in my Wonder Woman Underoos in the rain. The kids think I am crazy. I get the kids dressed in their raincoats and we go out and play in it. They love their rainboots, though after a few good puddles they are wet inside and out and don't serve much purpose.

I have never understood the scolding that kids get for jumping in puddles. It's fun, and you only live once. Instictively, children know that a good splash is satisfying. There is just something about the pooling of water that makes you want to do it. They are drawn to puddles, and shooed away by well-meaning adults. The adults who have forgotten the innocence and fun of childhood. Pants and socks can be washed, shoes will dry. But if you don't jump in that puddle, soon it will be gone.

We don't get many good rainstorms here that aren't thunderstorms - and we have to take advantage of every one we can. I have been known to jump in puddles even when the kids aren't around, and I highly recommend doing so. The satisfaction that comes with a good splash doesn't diminish with age. You just have to let yourself jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts