Sunday, March 22, 2009

March Madness

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a huge basketball fan. I used to like the NBA, but haven't watched much in the last few years. They are overpaid and spoiled, perpetually stuck in a prolonged adolescence - well, at least some really high profile players are. And I can't stand to watch it. Of course, if the Lakers are doing well, and it's nearing the end of the season, I will suddenly become a fan once again.

I'm only slightly more interested in college basketball. I could care less about it for most of the season, and really don't pay attention to it until the brackets are announced for the big dance. The NCAA Tournament.

Then something happens. We become superfans. It's bizarre actually, and Tom is worse than I am. It's a good thing that we don't watch college hoops for the whole season - Tom can't handle the suspense. The last 2 minutes drive him crazy. He yells at the TV, especially when there are those last minute foul calls, the half court desperation shots. When teams get into OT, he's mesmerized until the end.

He was mad that SDSU didn't make it to the dance this year - they lost their tournament in the final game by only 2 points. But, the Mountain West is not a glorified conference in the eyes of the NCAA, and so to the NIT the Aztecs went this year. It's truly a consolation tournament, but it's almost a waste of time. No one really cares about the NIT.

UCLA, the perennial PAC-10 good basketball team was eliminated in the first round. It's always nice to see them lose. USC made it, and they are playing in the second round today. Fight On!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some of My Most Popular Posts